Image Hosted by ImageShack.us       Image Hosted by ImageShack.us         Image Hosted by ImageShack.us               Image Hosted by ImageShack.us     Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

DIY: Wall Hanging

Friday, 17 May 2013


I have had a day off today (woohoo!) so I thought I would treat myself with a bit of crafting. I decided to make a wall hanging with a nice positive message printed on it to keep moral high during this stressful exam period. The material I used was actually from an old pair of curtains and I think it turned out rather well. I'm not going to lie, it did take me a rather long time to get this right. But I think it was worth the work :)

You will need:
Material
Sewing machine, or needle and thread.
Acrylic or fabric paint
Card
Printer
Scissors
A long stick, or a straw. I used a wooden BBQ skewer. 
Cotton


Step 1: Create your image that you want on your hanging on the computer. Make sure you use a font that isn't too thin or tricky to cut out. Bolder the better. Print out onto card.
Step 2: Draw out the shape of your hanging onto your material. Make sure it is big enough to fit your image on. Once you have done that add 2cm around the outside for seem allowance. At the top add on another 5cm, as this will be folded over to make a tunnel for your stick to go though.
Step 3: Cut out your shape.
Step 4: Double hem all of your edges so that they are nice and neat and sew on a sewing machine, or by hand.
Step 5: Fold over the extra material you have at the top of your shape and stitch along the bottom so you form a tunnel at the top of your hanging.
Step 6: Cut out the letters of your image to make a stencil. This can be a little fiddly, but take your time and make sure it is neat and tidy.
Step 7: Tape your stencil onto your material and get paining!
Step 8: Peel off your stencil and leave to dry.
Step 9: Thread your stick through the material tunnel and attach either end of your cotton onto the ends of the stick.

And you're done! 


What do you think? I really want to make some more with other nice phrases on. What would you paint on yours? 

Love Kendall xx

5 comments:

  1. This is so cool! I'm definitely gonna add this to my list of art projects for the Summer haha :) So cute! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. it´s pretty! great DIY :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I'm so going to give it a go! Your DIYs are inspirational! XXX

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE hearing from you! Thank you for your wonderful words :)